How to Create High-Performance Shopify Landing Pages
If you’re not using landing pages to boost the SEO performance of your Shopify store, increase your revenue, and generate new leads yet, then you’re missing out. While a well-designed Shopify website can help you capture conversions, and marketing tools can strengthen your chances of reaching new audiences, landing pages are still powerful tools you can’t afford to overlook.
Essentially, a Shopify landing page is a standalone page visitors “land” on when they click on an ad, or a link elsewhere on the web. They’re specially designed not just to cultivate conversions, but also increase your access to leads, by convincing customers to share their contact details with you.
Using the right contact forms and widgets, you can use your landing page to add customers to your email list, nurture prospects, and unlock new sources of revenue. Plus, landing pages can help you gain higher exposure in the search engine rankings too.
So, how do you create high-performance landing pages?
Creating a High-Performance Landing Page: Quick Tips
At a glance, a landing page might seem like the same thing as a homepage or product page on your Shopify store. After all, it’s a place where you’ll be drawing attention to the benefits and features of the solutions you offer your target audience. However, landing pages have a unique benefit: they help to reduce the “paradox of choice”, and guide customers towards the right action.
While most parts of your Shopify website will include a variety of CTA buttons, navigation bars, and links to other pages, a landing page has a distinct focus. It concentrates on asking clients to do a single thing, whether it’s signing up for a newsletter, or purchasing a product.
Studies show these pages are extremely effective, with dedicated ecommerce landing pages converting at a 60% higher rate than any other standard page on your site.
While there’s no one-size-fits-all strategy for producing an amazing landing page, there are a few strategies you can use to boost your chances of success, such as:
- Using the right visuals: Visuals are fantastic on any landing page. They help you to reach your audience on an emotional level, highlight the benefits of your solution in an easy-to-understand way, and grab attention. Experimenting with videos, carousels, and high-quality images will help you to determine what kinds of visuals have the best impact.
- Keep it simple: First and foremost, landing pages should have a single focus. This means you should only include a single call-to-action on any page. Don’t overwhelm your customers with too many choices, otherwise you might as well ignore the landing page entirely. Make sure the CTA buttons you do use a prominent, and easy to use on any device.
- Focus on the benefits: A landing page should engage and convert your audience, by showing exactly how they can benefit from the product or solution you’re offering. Don’t just list specifications or features. Draw attention to what your product is going to do for the customer base you want to serve.
How to Design a Shopify Landing Page
The good news for Shopify store owners is that designing a landing page is relatively straightforward. In fact, you’ll have three options to choose from when creating your page. You can either use the straightforward Shopify theme editor, use apps from the Shopify marketplace, or work with a Shopify developer to edit your theme’s code.
Let’s take a closer look at each of your options.
Using the Shopify Theme Editor
Since the Shopify Online Store 2.0 update, the theme editor on the ecommerce site builder has evolved quite a bit. Not only is it easy to use, but it’s extremely convenient if you just want to make a basic page for your website. To create a landing page using this method, log into your Shopify admin, and click on your “Themes” tab. Select “Edit” next to the theme you want to use.
At the top of the Editor page, you’ll see a drop-down menu. Click on this, and scroll down until you see “Pages”, then click on “Create Template”.
Name your template something memorable like “Phone landing page”, and choose a design you want to base it on, such as a product page. Once you click on “Create Template”, you’ll be taken to a new section of the editor, where you can add different components to your page.
Use the menu on the left-hand side to drag and drop text, images, videos, and CTA buttons into your landing page, arranging them however you like.
Save the template, and then head over to the “Pages” section on the Theme Editor again. Click on “Pages” in your Shopify dashboard, then click “Add Page”. Choose the template you built for your landing page, and you’ll be able to start making more specific changes.
You can add a page title, copy to convert your audience, your call to action button or text, and so on. Keep in mind, the amount of content you can add to your landing page, and the edits you can make will be relatively basic with the theme editor.
Using a Shopify Landing Page App
If, like many Shopify users, you find the editing options within the Shopify Theme tool to be relatively basic, then you can consider using an app from the Shopify marketplace instead. There are various great tools available, which can integrate straight into your Shopify admin dashboard. Some are available for free, while others have a premium price.
The majority of the landing page builders available for use with Shopify are extremely straightforward and easy to use, with lots of customization options. Some great tools include:
- Pagefly: One of the most popular landing page builder apps on the Shopify marketplace, PageFly includes a complete package of tools you can use to optimize your store and it’s various pages. There are more than 80 high-converting templates to choose from, and the drag and drop editor is extremely easy to use.
- Shogun: Another fantastic Shopify landing page builder, Shogun is extremely easy to use, and packed with powerful features. It comes with tools to help you A/B test your landing pages, as well as valuable analytics and reports. There’s even a handy 10-day free trial, so you can test out the features before you buy anything.
- Leadpages: Intuitive and flexible, Leadpages is a landing page builder and a marketing software solution that’s designed to help companies capture more leads and nurture them into customers. It comes with hundreds of templates to choose from, lightning-fast page lading speeds, and some great conversion intelligence too.
- Unbounce: One of the most well-known landing page builders available for Shopify, Unbounce is a drag-and-drop development tool, with 100s of field-tested templates to address virtually every conversion goal. The solution even comes with access to a Smart Traffic service, which uses machine learning to automatically enhance your pages for you.
Creating a custom landing page with a Shopify Expert
Finally, while a landing page app will give you more functionality than the standard theme editor on Shopify, there are some limitations to consider. Not only do you need to learn how to use the tool, but you’re going to be leveraging a lot of the same templates and features as a lot of other companies, so you might find your pages aren’t quite as competitive.
If you really want to create a high-converting landing page, which is unique to your business and store, the best option might be to work with code. You can create a Shopify landing page template, or an entire theme from scratch using Liquid and other code.
Although this might be a little complicated for someone without a lot of technical knowledge, you can always simplify the process by hiring a Shopify expert from Storetasker. Get in touch with us today to learn more about finding your ideal Shopify landing page builder.