How to Become Shopify Certified: The Basics
Wondering how to become Shopify certified?
Shopify is currently one of the most popular ecommerce store-building tools in the world. More than 1 million businesses currently rely on Shopify to connect with customers, and the system is constantly evolving to suit the changing needs of store owners.
The impact of Shopify on the website-building market represents an incredible opportunity for developers. Learn how to master everything from Shopify app creation to theme customization, and you can become a sought-after professional in the age of digital sales.
Of course, as demand for Shopify developers increases, the level of competition for today’s would-be experts is growing too. Learning how to become Shopify certified is an excellent way to set yourself apart from the crowd, and potentially earn more job opportunities.
What is Shopify Certification?
Becoming Shopify certified simply means you earn official documentation highlighting your skills as a Shopify expert. While anyone can technically become a Shopify developer today, certification enhances your earning potential, and improves your chances of being hired.
A certification shows you’ve gone through the hard work and stringent testing required to hone your skills in things like app development and theme creation. You can develop your skills, diversify your offering with new talents, and prove yourself through examination.
Notably, there are different forms of Shopify certification available today. The first decision you’ll need to make when building your credentials is deciding whether you want a direct Shopify certification, or something offered by a third-party educational group.
- Direct Shopify certification: With a direct Shopify certification, you develop your skills using an exclusive selection of courses offered on the Shopify Partner academy. You’ll gain commendation from Shopify itself, which helps to make you more credible.
- Third party certification: A third-party certification is accreditation offered by another learning institution like Coursera or Udemy. These courses can provide additional knowledge and guidance from professionals outside of the direct Shopify ecosystem. You won’t necessarily get certification from Shopify, but you still get something valuable to add to your resume, which could increase your hiring potential.
How to Become Shopify Certified
Becoming Shopify certified doesn’t have to be as complicated as it seems. Provided you’re willing to put in the time and effort required to develop your skills, you can build out your resume in a range of different ways. Here are the basic steps you’ll need to follow.
- Choose Your Shopify Certification Route
First, decide whether you’re going to be gaining certification through Shopify or a third-party group. You can also do both if you’d like to make your resume stand out even more than most. However, keep in mind each course will require a significant amount of focus and time. Try not to overwhelm yourself with too many courses at once.
Since you’re focusing specifically on Shopify development, it makes sense to start building your credibility with a course directly from Shopify.
To access the available courses, you’ll need to visit the Shopify Partner or Shopify Plus Academy. The Shopify Plus Academy is a training program specifically offered to users on the Shopify Plus plan. Alternatively, you can create a free Shopify Partner account to earn skills instead.
You’ll need a Shopify account to sign up to the Partner Academy, at which point you’ll be able to browse through the available courses offered here.
- Select Your Shopify Certification Courses
As mentioned above, it’s possible to take a multitude of courses with Shopify over time. However, you’ll probably want to avoid taking too many at once, as this can divide your attention. Instead, think about where you most want to find new job opportunities.
Shopify’s Academy offers a range of training solutions, and there are a host of alternative options provided by third-party learning facilities too. Some of the most popular courses available on the Shopify Partners website include:
- App development certification: The Shopify app development certification helps users to develop their knowledge of app development via Shopify, and demonstrate their unique skills. You’ll learn about best practices, and build useful skills you can use during your projects. You’ll also get a certification to show off to customers.
- Theme development certification: If you’re interested in seeking out employment as a Shopify theme developer, or want to be a freelance theme creator, you can earn this fantastic certification. The theme development course tests your knowledge of Shopify themes, complete with insights into custom styling, Liquid language, and front-end tooling, as well as SEO, accessibility, and theme-specific app integration.
- Store operations and fundamentals: Extremely helpful for freelancers looking to work with business owners, this course will teach you the basics of setting up and managing online stores. The course is great for providing tips you can share with your clients on the nuances of maintaining strong store operations.
- Partner program fundamentals: The Partner Program fundamentals course takes you through the various opportunities and perks you can access as a partner in the Shopify network. You’ll also learn how to maximize development within the Shopify partner program, and how to leverage your skills and grow your business.
- Continue Working on Your Skills
Once you’ve earned certification in the key areas most important to you and your business, the next step is to continue working on your knowledge. Shopify is an ever-growing and changing landscape for ecommerce business owners. Knowing how to adapt to the evolving ecosystem is crucial.
Some other educational tools to access on Shopify’s Partner program include:
- Project Management challenges: This is a video series offered by successful Shopify partners offering tangible tips on overcoming common challenges while you work with Shopify. You can learn how to scale your team, and manage projects more effectively.
- Designing for conversions: Designing for conversions is a bonus course on the Partner Academy offering insights into everything from intuitive UX creation to smart defaults. You’ll learn how to use design to reduce cognitive load and improve conversions.
- Business fundamentals: This certification covers a range of useful insights into marketing, sales, and project management methods, as well as advice on how to work with Shopify merchants. You can even learn a thing or two about pitching to clients.
Alternatively, you can learn more about Shopify through certifications like:
- Create your own ecommerce store: This Coursera course will help you to understand the ins and outs of how to build a shop on Shopify, with only around an hour of work.
- Become a Shopify Expert: A complete course on how to create amazing ecommerce store experiences with the Shopify ecosystem.
Put your Skills to the Test
Once you’ve earned your certifications, and you’re equipped with a strategy for long-term learning, the next step is putting your skills to the test. Apply to become a developer on Storetasker, then work on building out your portfolio with plenty of great examples of your work.
The more opportunities you have to build with Shopify, work on apps, and create your own themes, the more you’ll enhance your skills and earning potential. Don’t forget, you can always take additional courses and earn more certification along the way.